Wyverstone is good for my soul

07:01 Karen 2 Comments

Well, this week has been an odd sort of week! I was away from work for the first three days with a chest infection and fortunately, that has cleared up except a slight cough - thanks to an understanding GP and some antibiotics. I spent the three days either asleep on the sofa or watching daytime tv. How do people watch that rubbish for days on end? Where does Jeramy Kyle find such angry people? How do I become a Loose Woman - I love the grumpy old women on that show and desperately want to be able to say such outrageous things and get away with it!

I also rediscovered what a good friend Eileen is. When I got home on Friday, after a marathon 6 hours of running around trying to get various things sorted, in my porch was a bunch of beautiful Irises and a bar of my favourite chocolate. When I rang to see if this anonymous gift was from her, she then insisted on driving to Wyverstone on Saturday, even though it was my turn. A huge thanks Bud xxxx I was able to stay for the duration and not worry about being 'under the weather' and having to drive home late at night.


Well, talking about Wyverstone - what a productive day. I made 4 pages and still had time to sit and chill, reading magazines for 45 minutes at the end. My mojo has returned with vengeance! I so loved yesterday, it was good to go to a place where most people were unaware of the events of the past few weeks and to sit and just scrap with my friends. Thank you Janice and Lorraine and all the other girlies xxx

The pages I made , in order of appearance, are:-

1. Bloom


Yes that is just plain old newspaper I used for the flowers and leaves. I spray glued it onto white card stock to give it some substance and then punched out the shapes, or cut out the leaves with deckle edged scissors. It may not be archival safe but in reality who is going to want to look at my pages in 20 years time? If I was making a page that I felt was documenting family history or a family event I would certainly make it acid free but when it is just a piece of scrap art for my own pleasure - anything goes!




Love Walking


I wanted to try a collage look and hand cut the tree and covered it with 90% of my stash of green buttons and brads. I used a punch for the flowers and then folded them to give a 3D look (this lo is so lumpy I have no chance of getting it into a page protector). I used a heart shaped punch for the leaves and made the little heart shaped photo corner. The scalloped 'grass' is made from lots of punched circles of paper cut in half and layered over each other to give the scallops.



J 'hearts' G



I used a sketch form the MOJO Blog for this one. I have only recently discovered the pleasure of scrapping from sketches and love being able to 'whip' up a page fairly quickly without too much shuffling of paper and photos.


Our Grease Monkey


I have probably said this before - David does not like me to scrap photos of him! I saw this Bo Bunny paper ages ago and bought it with the sole intention of making a page about David at work (naughty I know but sometimes you just have to do these things)! If you look at the photo he is actually looking over at Kiera to see why she is getting up (because she has seen me) so I was able to sneak a photo without him even knowing, heee, heee, heee. I cut out some of the cog shapes from one of the pieces of paper and layered them up, interlinking them, so they were like cogs in an engine - or so I think. I wanted to celebrate how hard David works every day and that his main motivation for working is to be able to give me and Gracia the best life he possibly can!



Finally, I have saved the best bit until last. At Wyverstone yesterday, they had a bring and buy sale and I managed (thanks to Eileen pointing it out to me) to buy a Craft Robo of £20.00, Yes you read that correctly £20.00. I can't believe it and had to go and check that this was the actual amount the the seller wanted (a huge thanks to Fi) and it was. I have been wanting one of these for ever and am so fired up about having one. I woke up in the night with little excited thoughts and big plans for this little blue wonder!

So it's half term and this time it has been a long time coming. I have loads of David's work to catch up on, as usual, a trip to mum's for a few days and of course a little scrapping and learning how to utilise my new toy to the best of it's ability!

Reasons to be cheerful:-

1. Yesterday, I had the most fantastic day out with the girls.

2. I have got the bargain of the year.

3. Today I promise myself that we will all go for a nice long walk on this beautiful, crisp autumn day.

Photobucket



2 comments:

Mel said...

That definately is the bargain of the year!!!!! can't wait to see what you produce with it. Love the LO's and look foward to seeing you in a couple of weeks.

Mel xx

PaperTurtle said...

Hi Karen ~ I came to your blog through your link in Shimelle's class. I love your work! I'm especially fond of your embellishments made from newspaper -- great tip on adhering it to cardstock to give them more substance. I look forward to being in "class" with you! ~ Deb