AWOL

18:27 Karen 5 Comments



First of all a huge thank you to everyone who congratulated the kids.

We have been AWOL, well not really but we have been away for a few days to the Peak District.


The last time we went there I was 12 weeks pregnant with Gracia. It is such a beautiful part of the country and I would recommend it to anyone.
We left early on Sunday morning and went straight to Carsington Water - an activity centre with a fabulous restaurant and craft shops. We hired bikes and cycled for a couple of hours



and then David, Gracia and Josh went for a paddle in a 3 man canoe - I stayed on dry land and read my book for half an hour.

On Monday we went for a 10 mile walk


(it took us over 4 hours due to the speed that Gracia walks - look how far behind they are and I had to use full zoom on my camera to even get this photo) around Bakewell and the surrounding area.


It pelted with rain the first half of the walk but we finished it in glorious sunshine. The carrot that got Gracia round was the promise of a Bakewell pudding at the end.


As I said, the last time we were in the peak district was 18 years ago and had gone to the Bakewell Pudding Shop, I am afraid that our memory must have played tricks on us as we remembered these with fondness - what a rip off! It cost us £33.00 for two bowls of soup with 'homemade rolls' which were akin to ones you can buy from ASDA's value range, Gracia had a roll and jam and David had a roast vegetable pannini. We decided that we would go for the £8.00 Bakewell Pudding for 4 - £8.00 for a piece of puff pastry with 1/2 an inch of filling and no bigger than a tea plate! Added to this it took 1hour 50 minutes from the time we sat down to the time we left and there were 5 people serving and no more than 30 people in the restaurant!

Yesterday, we dropped the kids off at Alton Towers for the day they went on loads of rides


but, get this, they spent an hour looking at the gardens and grounds - more the sort of thing pensioners would do rather than teenagers



- love this photo from Monday when they were being 'old people'.


and went walking around Dimmingsdale and had lunch here.


Now if you are ever in this area I would thoroughly recommend this place. The food was delicious and David had lemon merangue pie for dessert and I tell no lie it must have been 6 inches deep. The lady said that they used 2 dozen egg whites for the topping.


Whilst we were out walking we came upon these fungi - they looked like white jellyfish!

So back late last night, washing and drying clothes all day today so that Gracia can go to Devon with Josh and his family tomorrow for 6 days. This will be an eye opener for her really as they are camping in a field without any facilities - no electricity for hair straighteners, no running water for daily showers and the family spend all day on the beach so the boys can body board and surf! Not an activity for a girl who doesn't like sports! Well, I am sure love will win through and just spending time with Josh will be good.

I also have 120 blog posts to read according to Googlereader!

Reasons to be cheerful:

1. The washing is all done - just the ironing to tackle now.

2. We both agree that spending time with Gracia and Josh is a really fun thing to do, they spend all their time laughing and are such good company.

3. I have decided to do this year's Learn Something New Every Day and am now planning how I am going to tackle it - I think digi and then print them out.




Photobucket






5 comments:

Bubbles said...

Oh my goodness! Those pies! Those views! Those... old people with high waisted trousers *lol*... Hubby does that when he wants to make me scream and run away *lol*... you obviously had a wonderful time - thank you so much for sharing :)

I recieved an award, and would also like to pass it onto you. Details and explanation on my blog:
http://patchworkapples.blogspot.com/2010/08/ooh-cherries.html
Just wanted to say thank you :)

debs14 said...

Oh my - that is one amazing Lemon Meringue! My favourite dessert - yum! Looks like you had a great time and it's so nice that the 'youngsters' obviously enjoyed spending time with you. Will be interesting to see how Gracia gets on with her camping, I do hope the weather improves for them!

Amy said...

I can't wait to hear how Gracia goes. I love going on holidays with my parents - actually, all of my family, we always have a great time. This area looks like a beautiful part of the country - everything is so lush. It's not too bad here now but nothing like that.

Deb said...

What a fun post, Karen. Love the photos you have posted and I would LOVE to hike through that beautiful spot.

Can't wait to hear how Gracia fairs the camping trip! Ha. My Carrie would be the same way! ;o)

Sian said...

Great, chatty post Karen. I love a post full of news! Good luck to G with the no hair straighteners thing lol