Christmas Club - Tales of Christmas Past

08:07 Karen 12 Comments

A story for Sian's Christmas Club post.

This is one of the very few Christmas photos that we have. Film was expensive in those days and mistakes couldn't be rectified like you can now with digi photos.

It was Christmas day 1965 and the things that stands out is my short hair. In those days we lived in a very small town and children were allowed a lot more independence. We could go to the shop for a packet of tea without our parents fearing that danger was around every corner.

Back to the hair. Prior to this photo I had waist length hair that my Grandma used to wet every morning and curl into long ringlets. She would then take two and tie them onto the top of my head with a large, and I mean large, white bow. She thought I looked gorgeous! At school the boys always said I had, now please excuse the horrible description, 'dog's turds' on my head - a mean way of describing my tumbling ringlets!

Well, not long before Christmas my mum gave me the money to take myself off to the hairdressers for a trim. I don't know what came over me but with the words 'dog's turds' ringing in my ears, I asked for my hair to be cut short. As I was known for being a good girl the hairdresser did as I asked because it must have been what my mum wanted as I would never have been so naughty! As soon as the first snip was made I knew I was going to be for it when I got home.

My mum's first words were "Your Dad will kill you", not literally, obviously but he did have a very loud shout when necessary. I went to bed early that night, before he got home from work and when he came to kiss me good night, I was pretending to be asleep but had on my anorak (do you remember those - for younger readers they can best be described as a quilted hoodie, made from synthetic material and they usually came in dark green, blue or brown (mine was dark green). Back to the anorak, not only did I have it on but all anoraks had a string with toggles through the hood so that you could pull them tight in adverse weather conditions. So of course I had my hood up and the string pulled so tight that all you could see was my eyes and nose. Dad, of course, had been warned my mum what to expect and didn't buy my story that I had my anorak on because I was so cold in bed.

Obviously, he didn't kill me but he was so disappointed that the surprise haircut was the only one I had for the next few years - until my hair was down to my waist once more, in fact when I was 14 I could actually sit on my hair it was so long.

Reasons to be cheerful:-

1. How easily photos can bring back long forgotten stories.

2. A carefree childhood where we could wander the fields and streets in complete safety.

3. Anoraks that kept you warm and hid unplanned haircuts.


Photobucket

12 comments:

Amy said...

Karen this is a great story - at least you had your hair cut professionally - I decided to take to the scissors myself!
And ... boy-oh-boy does Gracia look the spitting image of you as a young girl!

Miriam said...

This is a wonderful story,and a beautiful photo of you, thank you for sharing.

scrappyjacky said...

A wonderful story....that took me right back to those carefree days.

Gail T said...

What a wonderful story and boy does your daughter ever look like you as a child.

What a great story! And how awful those boys were.
I love the expression on your face in the photo.
Rinda

Sian said...

Karen, this is a wonderful story! Thank you so much for sharing this today, it's told so well you had me on the edge of my seat wondering what your dad was going to do. The photo is simply beautiful too - I'm so glad you showed us "little you".

Oh, and my anorak was navy!

debs14 said...

This made me smile so much, I can just imagine you tucked up in your bed in your anorak all zipped up and tied in under the chin (yes I had one too!)I bet even though your dad was cross about the hair cut he couldn't help but be amused at how you were trying to hide the evidence!

Sandie said...

I loved this story, Karen. The anorak hood did make me smile. Those were the wonderful days where children could play in fields and roam safely. I am so glad that I experienced that, but sad my granddaughters are denied the same freedom and independance.
Your description of the anorak bought back many memories. Mine was brown!

Cheri said...

It is a shame the damage that other kids' taunts can cause - and that it still goes on today, to the point that it has been labeled and school teachers get lessons on how to handle bullying. But you looked so adorable with the short cut!

Deb said...

Oh, Karen, this is an adorable story. And that picture of you is absolutely precious. Thanks for sharing this story ~ I'm smiling right now... :o)

Denise said...

Ah what a lovely story, it took me back too - and what a fab photo xx

Alana said...

What a fab story, you certainly brought a smile to my face when I read it. I had a little pixie cut when I was four and would get upset when my grandad use to tease me by asking who the little boy was. But actually I look back at the photos and I looked pretty sweet as you do in your photo. Great memories, thanks for sharing.