The one for Marti xxx

12:00 Karen 26 Comments


First of all - A Very Happy Birthday to Marti xxxxx

I never thought I would have a blog and resisted for quite a long time. I started my blog when my father was alive as a way for him and mum to keep up with the day to day goings on of our little family. Of course, he wasn't interested in my craft projects but when I visited my parents I would often see photographs (always of Gracia) that he had snaffled off my blog, on display in his home office. Gracia is my mum's only grandchild and as they live nearly 200 miles from us, blogging was an easy way to keep them up to date with our lives. I could blog at a convenient time to me and they could read it at a convenient time for them.

Please note that mum doesn't really have a white mustache that is just a light flash on the glass of the frame but if it really was a mustache it would be a pretty impressive one - for those of us above a certain age I only need to say Jimmy Edwards for them to know exactly what I mean!

But through blogging, I have discovered some amazing and talented women, inspirational crafters, inspirational mothers, inspirational story tellers and also made some genuine friendships. Although these friends live many miles away they are still friends. We sometimes email, often comment on each others blogs, have skyped and last week I received a little supportive postcard.

One such friend is Deb.

Earlier this year her mom, Marti, was diagnosed with cancer. How can you support a friend who lives thousands of miles away? Deb, being the ingenious woman that she is, came up with the idea that if you wished you could wear a teal wrist band in support of Marti. Of course, I signed up for the wrist band and it came in the post with a letter asking all who received a band to post or facebook a photo of the band or you wearing the band on Marti's birthday - the 29th April 2011.

This layout is square and the journaling strips are straight in real life!
So here is my post and a layout I made in celebration of our friendship and of Marti's courageous fight.


I wear my teal band all the time and am so proud to be an international member of Deb's Team Teal.


So, if you are reading this, please take a moment out of your busy life to say a little prayer for Marti and her family so that positive thoughts come to her from all over the world.

Reasons to be cheerful:

1. Friends who although they are thousands of miles away can still be near enough to offer a little cyber support.

2. That more people use the internet for good than for bad.

3. Just knowing that someone, no matter how far away they live, is thinking positive thoughts about you.



Photobucket

26 comments:

Amy said...

Go Team Teal!

A wonderful post today Karen, I know what you mean about the love and support of wonderful women around the world. I have loved your blog from quite a while now and it is always a pleasure to see your beautiful layouts, like today's, and I always smile at your grateful endings :-)

Sue said...

How wonderful! A brilliant way to use technology. Thinking of your friends mum on her birthday and wishing for a good outcome. xx

scrappyjacky said...

A wonderful post,Karen....showing how love,friendship and support can travel the world.

JO SOWERBY said...

what a beautiful LO and post. i am supporting u all through blog friendship,
Jo xxx

Oh, Karen, this is such an amazing post. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your kind words, beautiful layout, and most of all your support for my mom during this challenging time.

I was so touched by what you wrote that I was in tears by the end, but I had to smile when I saw my PaperTurtle tucked into your layout flowers. Ah! You are SO clever.

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! My mom is going to be thrilled with this. :o) ♥

Sian said...

Beautifully done Karen. It really brings out the thought of us all reaching out around the world today.

Cheri said...

Beautiful layout Karen - and I love how you tucked that little turtle into your embellies!

Lizzie said...

This is a lovely post, Karen. I also love your scrap page - what a fab layout! The photo is great and I love the way you have set out the journalling (and what it says!). The cute little "Deb Turtle" made me smile.

I am also proud to be part of Team Teal and offer support in my own small way.

Wonderful post - I love how you explain the bond behind this link up. Also love the turtle embellie in the l/o - perfect!
Rinda

Becky said...

Lovely post and I really like that you did a layout too. Let's hope Marti has a great day.

Such a wonderful post and layout! Visiting from Team Teal!

Denise said...

Fantastic post Karen and that layout is beautiful. It really is heartwarming to see all these wonderful blog posts x

Marti said...

I continue to be blown away by this blog-party! Such wonderful, loving comments! I thank you so much for your kinds words, birthday wishes and prayers! And I must add--beautiful post! Your layout is amazing! xo

debs14 said...

What a fantastic layout, and just look at that cute little 'paper turtle' sneaking into the flowers!
Beautiful post.

Elaine said...

Hi Karen
This is a lovely blog entry both regarding your parents keeping up and the teal band for Marti. I also loved the little card of the girl with the turtle that was gorgeous.
ITs so sad when this awful illness sets in and I am sending my hugs and well wishes to MArti and their family.
Big hugs, Elaine xxx

Clair said...

Oh Gosh! Such a lovely layout, I'm in love with the little paper turtle. It's an excellent touch. And the words, so similar to my own thoughts today x

Your beautiful and heartfelt post brought tears to my eyes. So glad to hear too that this hobby of ours can bring comfort to dear ones in distress. Your page showcases a beautiful sentiment!
So glad you decided to share it with us at Once Upon A...Sketch.
My prayers are with Deb and Marti.
Take care!

Great layout - thank you for sharing such a special piece with us at Once Upon a....Sketch :)

Irma said...

that cluster of embellishments is perfect!
Thanks for playing along!

Karen said...

What a beautiful layout and wonderful post! I'm glad to have found your blog!

{Ross} said...

Beautiful page! Thank to play with us on Once Upon A Sketch!

LG said...

Gorgeous work! Thanks for playing along!

A truly touching, heartfelt and beautiful take on the challenge. Thank You for sharing

Beautiful and so touching too. Great layout :-)

I'm finally able to make my rounds around the Team Teal posts after a crazy weekend and wow - what an amazing post and scrapbook page that you put together!

I love blog friends and I'm so happy that my mom has such good ones. The page you created for this event is just awesome - I especially love her little turtle popping out! :)

Ruth said...

Oh, my, what a gorgeous LO! A truly wonderful post and I agree with you about blog friends being the modern equivalent of pen friends.