In Nana's Garden

09:02 Karen 23 Comments

I was laying in bed this morning, deciding whether to get up or roll over for some more sleep and thinking about when I was little and about my Nana and it came to me that this is Storytelling Sunday and I had something to contribute on this occasion!

When I was very small, my mum went back to work. It was very unusual to have a working mum in those days but circumstances demanded that this was the way it had to be. My Nana looked after me whilst mum was at work.

Looking back this was the most idyllic time during my childhood. My
nana, whom we all called 'Nanny Marzie' because of her tendency to dish out Mars bars at every opportunity, doted on me and my every whim was catered for. During this time my Great Aunt Grace came to visit from Canada and so this meant that the doting was doubled! Great Aunt Grace's visit, that was planned to be only 3 months, turned into two years. We idolised each other and spent all day playing and knitting - she taught me to knit before I was five.


These two elderly ladies taught me to ride a bike by holding the back and me riding a figure of eight around the apple and pear trees.


Aunt Grace gave me my greatest possession - Freckles. He was my constant companion and slept in my bed from the time I was four until well into my teenage years. I loved him especially more because he was precious to Aunt Grace and for him to be given to me was amazing. You see, he had been made for her by her daughter in law (a lady who was the daughter she never had) and this lady had died of cancer just before Aunt Grace made her visit to the UK.


To this day I still have Freckles, he sits in my bedroom looking over us and is the only one of my toys that I haven't passed on to Gracia - maybe one day but not yet!

The pages illustrating this post are very old ones for 2008!

Reasons to be cheerful:

1. That sitting at my laptop smiling as I remember my childhood is much better than languishing in bed for another hour. Thank you
Sian for Storytelling Sunday.

2. I am considering going on an organised walk through our local woods today, last time I learnt so much.

3. The new stairs are in the house, albeit in pieces like a giant jigsaw on the lounge floor, but they have arrived.

Photobucket


23 comments:

Sian said...

Well Karen, you have given me one more reason to be cheerful today with your wonderful story. It's such a lovely one, full of love and little details so that I can see you in my mind, learning to knit at that early age (my Grandma taught me at about that age too, so that brought back a lovely memory for me as well)

Thank you for joining Stoytelling Sunday. The lovely thought of a two year visit from a beloved aunt is going to make me smile all day.

Sue said...

:) thats lovley . I LOVE LOVE your Freckles layout especially how you did the title.

Amy said...

I know how special those sorts of toys are, my great-aunt made me a cat and a frog and they still sit in the bedroom of my parents and my children know that they are the only ones not to be played with!

Your layouts are lovely today - as usual - and the detail is quite beautiful :-)

Wanda said...

Thanks for sharing the precious memory that came along with your precious possession. This is truly a wonderful story!

alexa said...

Gosh, those were the days, when aunts and grandmothers had time to spend teaching, showing, being with ... how very special an experience. Love how she stayed two years! And what special memories kept safe in your lovely pages.

Elaine said...

Aww what a gorgeous story and 2 v lovely lo's x

Cheri said...

how wonderful to have childhood memories of knowing you were so loved and cherished. Beautiful story Karen.

scrappyjacky said...

A wonderful story,Karen....I still have a couple of precious toys from my chilfhood.Love the LO as well.

Gail said...

What a lovely story Karen. How very special that you had your Nana and Great Aunt to show you things. You brought back memories of my Mum teaching me how to knit at 4. Love your Freckles page.

JO SOWERBY said...

i adore stories like this. i remember the ladies who lived next door to us when i was a child motivating me to ride my bike without the stabilizers. they lived together in a sort of commune i suppose although perhaps in hindsight it was something more intimate. i wiull never forget how lovely and kind they were to me as i kept falling and getting me back on again until i did it,
Jo xxx

Miriam said...

How wonderful to have your aunt stay for two whole years! I really loved your story and to think you still have freckles! It has reminded me of a lovely memory of a special aunt of mine, thank you x

Jinnag said...

How wonderful to have an aunt stay for 2 years. Love these stories - and specially Freckles! J x

Ruth said...

Such a wonderful story ~ I love that your Great Aunt came for 3 months and stayed 2 years!
The LOs are stunning ~ simply breathtaking.

Alison said...

Great story....you must have been sad when you'r aunt left though, after having her there for such a long visit! Love the LOs too
Alison xx

debs14 said...

Beautiful story and what precious memories.

Thank you for your wonderful share. My sister and I spent a summer with my aunts and extended family in Houston, Texas one year and have been trying to figure out how to capture it. This helps. It also affirms our decision to send DD to spend time with her aunts/uncles this summer.
Finally, I love your layouts. They still have quite a contemporary feel (especially the first one) - hard to believe they are three years old!
Rinda

angelfish said...

What a lovely story to share. I love that your aunt's visit stretched into two years!

Becky said...

What a lovely story to share. So glad that you still have Freckles, a lovely doll :)

furrypig said...

Fantastic story with so many wonderful memories, it made me reminisce too! Also your LO's are fab I love how you have embellished the bottom right corner in the first one. I bought some similar lookig bobbly ribbon yesterday!

Sandra said...

what a lovely lovely memory and such gorgeous layouts too.

Linda said...

Great story Karen! How lovely that you have such idyllic memories. Love the scrapbook pages you have done with the memories.

S said...

Thanks for sharing your story and layouts - you've given me an idea or two for coming Sunday's.

humel said...

How very, very lovely :) Super layouts illustrating your story, too! xx