A Boy's Dream

07:14 Karen 25 Comments


When I first met David, we were both 28 and knew where we were going and what we wanted. I very soon loved him, anyone who has ever met him would have to say what's not to love?

But my boy had a dream. His dream was to build his own car. Now, along with his brother, he owns a garage - not the sort that sells fuel but the sort that fixes cars. His garage is in a very small village and he works extremely hard, usually from 8am to 6pm. They are both good men, will mend anything that is brought in and will willingly close up the garage to go sort out any problems that the elderly residents of the village have, even something as small as changing a fuse and expect no payment in return for their lost time.
This is not David's car but one similar I found a photo of.

When we met he had several vintage motor bikes and was building a 1940's replica car. Personally, I preferred the motor bikes and on one of our first dates he took me out on his motor bike and sidecar. On our very first date we went for a ride on his tandem - a man of many modes of transport he was in those days!


It was red, the sidecar was shaped like a bullet but I sincerely hope I didn't look like Gromit!

As we got older, bought a house and had Gracia the motor bike collection dwindled and the car was sold because we needed the funds for more mundane things.

A couple of years ago David and his brother decided to start building a Frazer Nash.


Now this car is as beautiful as the first one was as ugly. It has sleek round lines, shiny chrome and oozes style. They haven't got very far with it as they are both working on their respective houses but it is now my dream that this car gets finished and the boys can race it. It will be a fitting reward for all the hard work and sacrifices that my fantastically generous man has made. There is so much more that I can say about these sacrifices but he would be too embarrassed if he ever read about it.

So this Story Telling Sunday is a huge thank you for being blessed with the man with whom I share my life and the sacrifices he has made for us.xxx

Reasons to be cheerful:

1. That David is the man he is.

2. That he had and still has a dream.

3. That he loves us enough to put his dream on hold.

Photobucket

25 comments:

Amy said...

My husband works very hard and has wonderful hobbies too - I think it is a great thing! He is sure to have a wonderful time fixing her up and then enjoying the playtime afterwards!

Tracy said...

Great dream, I always feel sad when I see old cars and think of all the people who have loved them.

Mary B said...

what a lovely story of a lovely man who will fulfil his dream I am sure

debs14 said...

I love the vision of you in a side car!
My brother in law completely renovated an old MG a few years ago, I just find it so amazing that someone can take a car to pieces and rebuild it - how clever!
Your love for your man shines out whenever you mention him in a post, you truly found your soulmate.

scrappyjacky said...

Everyone needs a dream....and I hope he manages to fulfil this one....I think my OH would probably like to join him.

Sandie said...

What a lovely story and to hear about the love you have for your man. I love the car David is working on and you conjoured up some wonderful images of you in the side car! My son had a sports car and we did the London to Brighton run. It was an amazing experience and I hope you have a fun time with your car once it is finished.

Wanda said...

What a great story and beautifully told too. And how nice that you've adopted his dream as your own.

Jimjams said...

Lovely story - just goes to show it was a dream worth having. Glad he hasn't given up on it and look forward to hearing about it coming to fruition one day.

JO SOWERBY said...

this takes me back to a chat i was having with an 89 year old member of our church the other day. she was telling me about her jaunts with her sons on their motorbikes and the sidecars i remember seeing as a child. i always thought the ladies looked so glamorous,
jo xxx

Becky said...

Love the picture you have used to illustrate you in the sidecar! So glad that your man is fulfilling his dream.

Cheri said...

what a sweet story!

Ruth said...

What a lovely story and, yes, that car does look very classy. My DH had an old TVR when we met and he parted with it when DS was born ... he was very sad for ages!

Jane said...

what a great story, I love old cars

Sian said...

A sidecar sounds so romantic! What a fine story of love in its many forms this is Karen. And conjured up with love, too.

Thank you for joining in Storytelling Sunday today.

furrypig said...

A beautiful story nd a wonderful man I hope the dream becomes reality soon xxx

Miriam said...

This is such a wonderful story and beautifully told. Yes every one needs a dream, dreams are what the future is made of. Lets hope it is time for his dream to become reality.

Ginger said...

Beautiful story!

humel said...

I love your posts Karen, they're always so uplifting and joyful :) This one just shines! xx

Denise said...

What a lovely story,I'm sure he will realise his dream and yes your affection shines through whenever you menton him in a post x x

Gail said...

What a wonderful story Karen and the car looks really nice. How nice that he is able to still be working on his dream. Love the sidecar picture. :)

Having a dream and a goal is fabulous, as is having a hobby. His seem to all be rolled in to one. I love how you describe your husband - the love is so evident.
Rinda

Alison said...

A lovely story about love and sacrifice, Karen
Alison xx

S said...

Lovely story - you're a lucky woman. And that second car is very cool - I hope his dream comes true sooner rather than later!!

Oh this is sooo wonderful, brought a tear to my eye and has made my day. Reminded me of the scene(s) in UP when they need to keep breaking in to their savings jar. Here's to you helping him to realize his dream, whatever the sacrifices you have to make.

alexa said...

A lovely contribution, of hard work and selflessness - and hope the car is completed soon. Those sleek lines look so elegant ...