Pinsperational

07:52 Karen 13 Comments



When I first came across Pinterest , through Sian, it was something I could take or leave and didn't do much with it nor could I understand the buzz about it.

On Monday, I got it! It is my new website of choice and I love the variety and diversity of all the things on there. I came across this monogram by Jen Naulls


and totally fell in love with it. I followed her link to the American Crafts blog where Jen Jockisch had made the original one

and thought I would have a go sometime. (The American Crafts website has instructions).

Well that time came sooner than I thought! Yesterday evening, I felt the need to create something and was 'scrapped out' from the weekend so I decided that I would make it for my girlie as a welcome home present for when she gets back next week. A little something she can have in her room at uni and know that it was made by a mummy who loves and misses her very much.


During my clearing out of the spare room I had found an 8 x 8 box frame which I thought would be perfect. I didn't follow the tutorial exactly as I though it would be easier to use WordArt in MS Word to make the big G and then decided that, as her name is so beautiful, I would add the rest of her name in smaller letters and gave the whole page a purple boarder. I then printed this out onto white cardstock.


I used the colours of the letters to determine the colours of the buttons and brads. The last step was to paint Stickles onto the printed letters to give them a little depth as they looked very flat and boring compared to the G. I stuck it into the frame using foam pads because the back was quite bumpy with all the brads and also it is quite heavy for its size.

It didn't take as long as you would think and I am really pleased with the result.


Reasons to be cheerful:

1.
Only 7 more days.

2.
The spare bedroom is coming along nicely and by the end of the week should be in a fit state for the little plan I have for it!

3. The 5 bags of rubbish (mostly mine) from the spare room that I am taking to the dump tomorrow!

Photobucket

13 comments:

scrappyjacky said...

This is gorgeous,Karen....she'll love it.

Sue said...

oooo I LIKE that! So pretty- I have just decorated Meg's room - might have to have a go.

Alison said...

It's beautiful..love the colours you've used!
Alison xx

Becca said...

Wow! That looks amazing, I am sure that she will love it. Must admit I am tempted to have a go :)

Sandra said...

Oh how I love this. I may have a play with the word home

Sian said...

It's lovely Karen. I found that AC link when I was looking for an alpha project for Mel's Alphaneumeric blog hop and I was delighted with the way my "F" turned out too. It's a lovely project - it would make a great baby gift I think too

Oh my gosh, Karen!!! This is SOOOO cute. I know that Gracia is going to love it. I'm so inspired right now...oh wait...all my buttons are packed... ;o)

debs14 said...

Ooooooh this is beautiful! She will love it. I love this idea, so clever and so pretty. I'm inspired!

Sandie said...

That's a lovely idea, Karen. Pinterest is pretty addictive, but extremely useful.

Amy said...

I love it too - it's an excellent idea!
Only seven more days? Wow, that seems to have passed quickly ... though, perhaps not for you!

Love your button monogram, I may have to have a play too and use up some of my button hoard!

Cheri said...

Funny to come back here KNOWING I posted a comment back on Wednesday, only to see no comment from me! Anyway, I love Pinterest, love the inspiration there, your button monogram is GORGEOUS (loving your improvements over the original) and is an idea I may have to lift for a certain college kid in my life!

Thanks for your comment on my Me in My Moleskine Karen. Unfortunately blogger does not give me your email address. If you drop me a quick note from your email to scrapdreams@verizon.net, I can send you a reply with my mailing address. I'd be so grateful for anything you are done with! Thanks!

Gail said...

Oh I bet she loved it! Like the idea of using her name instead of just the initial.