Coming down to earth with a bump!

08:46 Karen 17 Comments


This post is brought to you as part of Sian's - Story Telling Sunday.

This photo was taken almost 16 years ago. Not much has changed since then. Ok she is bigger and brighter but her personality and sense of what is right and wrong remains the same.  BUT at three years old this can sometimes be a little misguided. 

 The story of the embarrassing incident in the bank! 

16 years ago when my Golden Girl was just three I banked with a building society. It was a very small bank with only two tellers and two seats in the waiting area. It was our custom for Gracia to sit on one of the seats and wait for me to queue up and complete my transactions. She enjoyed chatting to the other customers and I believe they mostly liked chatting to her. Ever the performer,  she liked the maximum number of people to be party to her conversations and thoughts, always speaking loudly and clearly so that everyone could benefit from 'The Wisdom of Gracie-Girl'

One day, when the bank was particularly full and the queue was particularly long, I heard her little voice pipe up "Would you like to sit down?" I turned round to see her speaking to a very old lady. My little heart filled with pride as every person in that queue let out a little sigh of pleasure at such a polite little girl. I stood tall and gave her a thumbs up, so that they could all see the wonderful person who had instilled such impeccable manners in this little girl. The little old lady replied "Oh yes please". At which point my little sweetheart turned to the man occupying the other seat and said very loudly and very firmly "You need to get up - this lady wants to sit down". That was the moment that I fully understood the feeling of wishing the ground would open and swallow me.

 It just goes to prove the old adage that 'Pride comes before a fall'. 


 Reasons to be cheerful:- 

 1. She has grown from a very polite (even though her intentions were not always correct) little girl to an even politer young woman. 

 2. She had confidence to speak out for what she thought right and still does.

 3. I can look at a photo and it can spark such a vivid memory that as I was writing this story I fully felt the impact of the pride and embarrassment once again. 
 Photobucket

17 comments:

debs14 said...

Brilliant! I can just imagine how you felt!

Amy said...

I live in hope for my girl then, as that is exactly the sort of thing she would do!
I find it amazing that a photo can evoke so many memories, this is fantastic and an utterly gorgeous photo of your lovely girl!

Ruth said...

Brilliant story, made me laugh out loud. Thanks for cheering me up!

Miriam said...

What a wonderful story and like Amy, how looking at a photo can take you right back there is truly magical.

Wanda said...

Kids do have a way of keeping parents honest, don't they? This truly is a precious story...I'm still smiling!

Gem's Crafts said...

Well her heart was in the right place!

scrappyjacky said...

I can remember a few similarly embarrassing moments!!!! What a gorgeous photo of her.

Chipper said...

I would have wanted to become invisible!!!! My eldest also has that habit. The photo is so cute. I am enjoying these Sunday stories as they bring back so many memories.

Sian said...

Very funny! I came to you through Google Reader today - the link for your story doesn't seem to be working. I tried to re-add it for you, but it wouldn't let me because it would have made it a double, so I'm hoping everyone finds you and I'll look again at it later on :)

furrypig said...

what a sweet story kids can be soooo funny!

Too funny! And that picture is fantastic.
Rinda

OH my gosh if that's not the cutest thing! I love this story, Karen!! SOOOO cute!

And I'm laughing at Amy's comment too! :o)

Eileen said...

What a fab story Karen, love it

Lizzie said...

I'm sure it seemed perfectly logical to Gracia! How funny though (and I'm sure it was wonderfully embarrassing too!)
Great story and I love the "cute 3-year-old" photo!

Sandie said...

Your girl is obviously full of confidence. It will take her far!

Gail said...

Oh out of the mouths of babes! :)

Miss Smith said...

Ooh, that's fantastic!!!! Made me giggle :D

I also wanted to say how much I loved your scrapbook page with the letter to your daughter. As soon as I saw it, you immediately gave me two or three ideas of pages I'd like to make with letters like this. Just amazing :D