Did I mention it has been raining?

22:23 Karen 12 Comments

I really don't have a word in my vocabulary to adequately describe the rain that fell last night.  Torrential would only mildly describe it.  I really cannot remember a time when I have known rain like we have had in the past couple of weeks, well ever since the drought warning and hosepipe ban!

As I said, it truly rained and rained last night.  I left for work at 8am as usual and noticed that the A12 (the main road I usually take to work) was at a standstill.  I am lucky as I have to go over a bridge to get to the A12 and can look down and assess the state before I commit to driving on it.  So I decided to take the back roads to work.  I work 35 miles from home and this usually takes me between 50 and 60 minutes.  

Not today!  It took me an hour to drive 3 miles and then another 50 minutes to drive another 5.  By this time I had called into work and said I would take a day holiday as I didn't relish another couple of hours in the car.  I turned around and went to our local Sainsburys to pick up something for supper and was confronted with a car park that looked like this!


After my shop I decided to drive to the end of the lane where I live to see just how deep the water is.  Not drive through the water you understand, just go and look. When I arrived there was a poor lady with her car stuck, with water past the bottom of the doors!  I loaned her my mobile to call for assistance and took her back to my house for a warm and a cup of tea, she really wanted coffee but as neither of us drink coffee there was none to be had.    Her husband came and picked her up and I went back down the road for my photo.


Believe it or not this is actually the lane where I live and not a local pond!

On to much more interesting things a couple of projects from the April DT for ATDML









I hope you haven't been washed away with all this rain xxx

Reasons to be cheerful:-

1. An unexpected day off (even though it will either be unpaid leave or holiday) but a day off is still a day off.

2. I try to do at least one RAK every day and today I feel I have banked at least a week's worth.

3. Seizing the day and inviting Eileen over for an afternoon of crafty pursuits, cups of tea and putting the world to right.


 Photobucket

12 comments:

scrappyjacky said...

I thought it was bad here,Karen....but it's nothing like that. I blame the companies who imposed the hosepipe ban....it hasn't stopped raining since!!!

Cheri said...

Shame you had to waste 2 hours to go nowhere. But at least you made the best of the rest of your day!

A few weeks ago we had huge thunderstorms, and they were really amazing and scary at the same time.
Rinda

Amy said...

I'll send you over a snorkel!

Laurie said...

It's awful isn't it ?? I have had a river running through my garden !
But like you I sneaked a day off yesterday !!

Love the papers x

Melissa said...

Wow, what a ton of rain! How awesome that you were able to help someone stranded & have a "bonus" day off. That Beauty Blooms From Within layout is absolutely gorgeous.

Alison said...

I hope the rain stops soon Karen..you seem to have had it really bad over there! Love the LO and card!
Alison xx

debs14 said...

I think you've had it even worse than us! Part of my route to work is down a narrow road that is practically single track with passing places. On Thursday I was behind a school mini bus and a car came from the opposite direction, wound down it's window and advised us not to go further. So we had to do a 3 point turn down a very narrow road. It was hard enough in a mini, you should have seen how many turns the mini bus made - more a 33 point turn!

Rhona said...

My goodness Karen, you are having it much worse than we've got. Fortunately, where we live there isn't any serious flooding. It's certainly the worst drought/hosepipe ban conditions I've ever seen. Have a good weekend
xx

Sue said...

Horrible to have to waste so much time sitting in the car trying to get to work. The weekend doesnt look any better- stay warm and dry xx
Beautiful creationsxx

Sian said...

Gosh, Karen that is really shocking! I hope you get a break from it over the weekend - maybe the sun has come out?

Pretty projects! (of course..)

Sandie said...

We were camping last weekend and needed towing off the field by a tractor. Meanwhile it was on national news that two families needed rescuing from their cars in a lane near my home.
I missed this latest duluge. In Guernsey it was beautiful and sunny, Jill got sun burnt!
Glad you made the most of your unexpected day off work.