An Idyllic Childhood

10:08 Karen 22 Comments


When I was very small, up until my parents moved from Essex to Staffordshire when I was 7, my Grandma child minded me while my Mum was at work.  It was unusual for mother's to go out to work in those days but was a necessity as my dad was studying in order to improve their prospects.

I can honestly say my childhood was idyllic, although Nana was very strict she also was a lovely lady who was always up for a cuddle.  I have so many happy memories, especially when her sister, my great aunt Grace (who was my favouritest person in the whole wide world - can you spot the link) came to stay.  Great Aunt Grace only had two sons and had come for a 3 month visit from Canada.  She actually stayed 3 years and that was when the great spoiling began!  I was the apple of her eye, she taught me to sew, knit and crochet and was the reason I learnt to love making things.  I have vivid memories of these two elderly ladies, teaching me to ride a bike (which my uncle had found and restored by painting it red with silver paint splatters) by holding the back and running after me while I did figures of eight around the apple and pear tree in Nana's Garden.When I was 5 these two ladies would walk me to school, each holding one of my hands and at lunchtime would come and take me home for lunch, then walk me back again, until it was time for school to finish and they would be there again waiting for me.  My mum decided that I was getting too spoiled (she was probably right) and said I had to stay for school dinner.  Undeterred, my Nana and Aunt Grace would come to the school every lunchtime to 'post' me sweets through the railings and watch me play.  

 A very old layout of my brother and I in Nana's Garden.  It is low quality so you cannot read the journaling - I will have to dig it out and add that at another time.

This is what I love about Storytelling Sunday - I now have a warm glow and happy memories to take me through the day.  Thank you Sian.

Reasons to be cheerful:-

1,  A Nana and Aunt Grace who loved me and made my childhood happy.
2. Two ladies who taught me how to make Gracie's childhood a happy one.
3. Parents who bucked the trend to give us all a better life.


Photobucket

22 comments:

Amy said...

I spent many a day with my grandmother and her sister as well - it was wonderful, I can really relate to your story today Karen!

Clare said...

They sound like amazing ladies (and I'm sure the spoiling didn't do you any harm!) My story this month is about my Granny, it's nice to hear that someone else was as lucky as I was!

Jennie Hart said...

I miss my Granny very much, they are so important aren't they. I'm so glad you have such lovely memories and that layout is fab :)

scrappyjacky said...

What wonderful memories of 2 such lovely ladies.

debs14 said...

I love the thought of these two ladies posting you sweets through the railings! I'm guessing they absolutely loved you as much as you idolised them.

Elaine said...

hi karen i do still follow your blog i have actually managed to log into my blog on here today so i can comment!
you have made some gorgeous lo's over the past few weeks as always.
Your post re Gracia's birthday made me really emotional - cant imagine what a day it must've been for you.
anyway take care and have a fab week xxxxx

Sian said...

What wonderful memories you have lovingly conjured up for us here Karen - idyllic does seem to be the right word! I love the idea of an aunt who ended up staying for three years - she must have really felt she'd found the right place to be :)

I tried to pin your beautiful page on the Storytelling Sunday board, but Pinterest is crashing on me, so I'll be back..

Ruth said...

What beautiful memories you have :)

humel said...

Oh Karen, what a lovely story :) Thanks for sharing it, the warmth and love between you all is so evident. (It brought back memories for me, too - my Mum had to work when I was small so we went to my Nan and Grandad's after school each day.)

Alison said...

Lovely memories Karen!
Alison xx

Cheri said...

It sounds so wonderful Karen! I missed out on having a grandmother to spoil me. All of mine lived long distances and died when I was very young. And now we know where Gracia got her name!

Sabrina S. said...

Hi,
Such a nice post and LO. You were lucky to learn so many crafty things from these 2 ladies.
Have a nice Sunday,
Cheers from France

What a lovely set of memories you've shared and definitely reasons to be cheerful. I've been trying to find one per week on my blog. Ensuring there are always happy things to read.

furrypig said...

that is a wonderful story so many great memories I am left with a happy fuzzy feeling too!

Sandra said...

The love they gave you really shaped you to the person you are today, what lovely family x

Melissa said...

What lovely memories you've shared today - how lucky for you to have those two wonderful women in your life when you were young.

Chipper said...

I was also looked after by my Grandma while my mom worked. Thanks for sharing your memories. It has triggered some of my own ...

Such a special childhood for you. You have captured the time so well. And how lovely you realised that your parents were working towards a better life for you.

Sandie said...

That's lovely Karen, such happy memories.
I hope it is something my own granddaughters will relate to one day.

And that warm glow is contagious. Thanks for sharing,
Rinda

S said...

Sweets through the railing - now that it undeniably being spoiled. How lucky you were to have such sweet ladies in your life.

Gail said...

Oh what wonderful memories and such a lovely layout to go along with it.