Simple Stories and Telling Tales

07:20 Karen 9 Comments

I am determined to blog a little more often this year but have already fallen behind with my goal of a post a week! Never-mind, no use crying over spilt milk, or unwritten blog posts. 

The ATDML DT were given some lovely Simple Stories papers to design with and it was a breeze. Sometimes I struggle with certain paper ranges but these pages just fell together. Could be that I had lots of new photos from Christmas to scrap but I really enjoyed working with this range.

First up – So Happy Together  - photo taken on Christmas day when Josh came over for a while. 


 

Then I made - Boxing Day Walk. We like to go on the Boxing Day walk organised by our church whenever possible. Photos taken by Gracia on her new camera.


I loved the whimsy of – One Little Spotted Frog Another Christmas day photo of Gracia in her frog onesie. She does like to make us laugh. 

 


Finally – Every Day is Crazy in This House David and Gracia had knitted hats from one of our relatives but I got a tea cosy. Not one to be left out I wore it as a hat for this photo! I used my Silhouette to cut stars out from a piece of white card and then backed it with patterned paper. I also cut the title out using the Silhouette.



Last year I took the ‘Just One Sketch’ class by the very talented Kirsty Smith (Miss Smith) and have signed up for this year’s class ‘Telling Tales’ . As a consequence I now follow her blog (that girl is as mad as a box of frogs) and recently she posted a tutorial on making journaling cards from scraps.  




 I decided to make some journaling cards, ready for the upcoming class, using the scraps I had left fom the Simple Stories papers and stickers.  


I designed the card shape on my Silhouette (can you tell I am loving it so much) and then cut 12 - enough to make another set later - from a sheet of kraft card.  I also cut out the grid patterned paper using the machine - much quicker than measuring and cutting.  Other than that I just used a small square, heart and circle punches and stapled the top instead of using a paperclip.  They are less freeform than Kirsty's but I am very fond of them. I know Kirsty hand cut hers and they were different sizes but my ocd kicked in and I had to have uniform cards. (Looking at them photographed against some black card I really want to make a page with them immediately so the making a new set may come quicker than I anticipated!)


On reflection, I think my cards may be a bit small (3in x 2 ¼ in) but I had such fun making them that I won’t mind making some more larger ones. 


Why don’t you pop over to Kirsty’s blog to have a look at her tutorial? I bet you will have made some cute journaling cards by this time next week once you have seen how easy they are to make. You may also be tempted to sign up for her upcoming class.

Reasons to be cheerful:

1.  Finding time to blog.

2.  Talented ladies like the crazy Miss Smith

3.  Having a family who constantly seek out ways to make each other laugh. 


Photobucket

9 comments:

Ruth said...

Fabulous pages and gorgeous journaling cards.

Sian said...

Honestly, that girl can make any outfit look good! Your pages are so full of life Karen - and I think a great catch up like this with lots to look at is every bit as good as lots of blogging :)

scrappyjacky said...

Love your pages,Karen...especially the last one.
And the journaling tags are great....I must have a go.

Alison said...

Love that frog onesie...I had hoped to make some of Miss Smith's journaling cards this weekend, but it didn't quite work out! I'm very excited to be seeing you soon! Xx

YOu have such a way of keeping your photos in the forefront while still using lots of cool patterns and embellies. And your journaling cards are so cute!
Rinda

Sandra said...

I must be the only person in the world not to have bought any simple stories, but sneezing yours ... I'll be changing that. I adore your journalling cards - gorgeous

Just beautiful pages - I saw them already on the website and tried to leave a comment under my absolute favourite which is the crazy hats one...that is just the best photo and page ever I love it - makes me smile every time :) I feel the need to make some journal cards too now with all the bits left over.

Sandie said...

Lovely pages Karen - Simple Stories are one of my favourites - so colourful and cheerful!
I've signed up for Telling Tales too, and loved Kirsty's journaling tag tutorial. What's more, I love even more what you did with it! I want a SC all the more - waiting for the offer to come up again!

humel said...

Super layouts - oh, I love that onesie lol!! (And the hats, of course!)