Cutting Your Cloth Accordingly!

07:34 Karen 23 Comments


I can remember my Nana telling me to 'cut your cloth accordingly' frequently when I was younger and my story today is about how we put this into practice.

 My precious, for May, is my wedding ring. It reminds me of so many things, but most of all it reminds me of how we have grown together over the past 29 years. You see, when we married we had very little money to spare and in fact I can remember having to keep our food bill at £15.00 per week. As money was tight we bought a wedding ring for me costing just £12.00 from the infamous Ratners and David didn't have a ring. 


As we have been for the past 27 years, we were renovating a house when we got married (not the same one we live in now - that has only been for the last 21 years), we moved in with only a two ring camping stove to cook on, a dining room table, 1 dining room chair and a stool and our bed was a Victorian bedstead with the springs removed and the mattress on the floor!  


We only bought what we could afford and saved up for things we wanted, in fact I went for the first year without a fridge and kept things cool in a bucket of water until one Easter when the chicken I had bought went bad and I ended up throwing it at David but that is a tale for another day.

Back to my wedding ring - once things got a little easier we took my ring to a jeweler and and had him set it into a thicker wedding band.  


So my ring is a symbol of how we passed through the hard times and have worked together to make a good life together.

This post was brought to you courtesy of Sian's Story Telling Sunday.  If you pop on over to her blog you will be able to read about other people's precious things. 

Reasons to be cheerful:-

1.  We can look back at our early marriage with great affection.

2.  Through working together to get the things we want we appreciate them more.

3. We still derive the greatest pleasure from doing the simple inexpensive things that formed the backbone of our early marriage.




Photobucket

23 comments:

Amy said...

Your layout is really beautiful Karen and I love your post today. It goes to show that we can all be resourceful when we need to be and working together as a team and in a partnership is very rewarding ... the material things just aren't as important! Though, I am glad you have a fridge now!

Really like the photo - such a hard passage to live up to tho'. Glad that you were able to work together to create such a life and home together, people do tend to forget such things are hard work but precious.

Miriam said...

This is such a lovely post Karen, I find it very touching and a great reminder that you can love and have a good life without the 'necessities' of life today. I laughed at the chicken throwing though and like Amy I am glad you have a fridge...

Sian said...

Oh, this is wonderful! I found myself nodding at so much of it. In fact we were talking about it yesterday..we got engaged when we were 21 with a small but lovely ring which I still wear; and there has been some talk about replacing it for our Silver Wedding in the summer. But I think I'll keep it..it's very special and it, too, reminds me of our first year together with no heating and a hole in the roof!

What a heartwarming story this is. I especially like the idea that you integrated your original ring into the updated version.

sue jones said...

Awww Wonderful! We are coming up to 30 yrs later this month. xxxx

Sheena said...

A lovely story Karen x
You had me remembering similar times in my life. I also focused on my wedding ring today :)

Jennie said...

Oh a really lovely story - and my precious this month is also my wedding ring. Mine also represents how we have grown together - a lovely layout too - thanks so very much for sharing. J x

Elizabeth said...

Great story, Karen. Even though you had to struggle in the beginning (and probably for a few years after that) your marriage survived. Your wedding ring is a precious symbol of what can be accomplished with love.

Cheri said...

A beautiful post Karen. I love that the early ring was incorporated into the newer one, rather than just buying a whole new one.

Ladkyis said...

Oh I remember those days. What's for dinner? We can have eggs today and chips tomorrow or chips today and eggs tomorrow. Or we can have egg and chips today and go see your mother tomorrow.

Ruth said...

A beautiful page to go with a beautiful story.

Sandie said...

A lovely story and page that goes with it. Karen :)

JO SOWERBY said...

What a beautiful tale of love over money. These days rings cost so much more and weddings even greater amounts of money. How lovely to have a ring which actually demonstrates the importance of love and commitment to each other and congratulations of many happy years togehter. Next year we will be celebrating 50 years of marriage for my parents,
Jo xxx

Alison said...

I love that you had your old ring integrated into your new one, Karen!
Alison xx

Jennie Hart said...

I think it is perfect that you had the older ring incorporated into the new. I love the story and layout and the leaner times help us appreciate the 'flusher' times. Thank you for your story.

S said...

What a lovely story of your ring and all it represents. Pretty page too!

What a great story! I love how you reset the original. And I can't wait to hear the chicken story. I had a small diamond engagement ring because we were students when we got married, buy Paul replaced it for our 5th anniversary. I still have the original and want to make another piece of jewelry with it one day.
Rinda

Sandra said...

What a lovely story, I smiled when I read about your ring coming from Ratners, as my engagement ring is from there, and often hubby says would I like an eternity ring, but I've worn this ring with my wedding band for what will be 25 years this year, and I think I'll keep it lol

Becky said...

A lovely story. How wonderful that you have your original wedding ring set into a newer one - truly precious xx

jeanie g said...

What a beautiful story and I love how you used the old ring in the new. Loved it all!

Denise said...

A beautiful story and a beautiful layout. X

Gail said...

What a lovely post Karen. I love that you had your original ring set into the new one.