08:30 Karen 6 Comments


Having joined in Rinda's photo scavenger hunt last year and failed miserably, I am trying much harder this year.

So last Saturday, not the most recent one but the one before, I went into town (with my list of photos) and made a concerted effort to capture some of the required photos.  I intended to stay in town for a while and even planned on buying a sandwich to eat in the park (opportunity for a bench outside).  It mostly went to play but more about that later!

In addition to the scavenger hunt Colchester Zoo has a promotion with very large giraffes which have been painted and placed around the town and in a couple of nearby areas.  So I am busy trying to photograph as many of those too but I will save those photos for another post.

As it was Saturday, I knew the market would be there - 1. An open air market


I also knew I could grab a photo of - 3. City Hall, Capitol or other similar civic building (our Town Hall).


I walked a short distance and found - 2.  A theatre for performing arts (not a movie theatre).


and - 8. A Tower (this is Jumbo the disused water tower).


I then bought some lunch to go and sit in the designated quiet area of the park to read the paper and dine is style.  This is where my plan came undone!  Once I got to the park there was a children's festival in progress so even the quiet area was quite noisy from the loud speakers and excited children all over the park.  Undeterred I walked to the not-so-quiet area taking a photo - 14 A stained glass object or mosaic,

on the way.  I sat down to eat my egg mayonnaise roll and when I picked up the bag it was in the roll fell out of the bottom, note to self - a paper bag containing an egg mayonnaise roll needs to be carefully handled as the damp paper disintegrates when yanked roughly out of your back pack!  It fell, eggy side down, onto the dirt.  By the time I had eaten the remains of my lunch (a bag of crisps and a bottle of Pepsi) the wind was getting up and the rain was starting to fall.  I decided to call it a day and go back home.  Although, I was rewarded on my walk back to my car with - 15. A fire truck or police car.


I think I may have more already than I got last year, including my windmill lady- 16 A Windmill


from this Saturday, and with the prospect of taking more photos next weekend, who knows what little gems will come my way?

Reasons to be cheerful :-

1.  I live near such a beautiful and diverse town.

2.  The council arranges wonderful entertainment for the local children.

3.  Lessons learnt with regard to egg mayonnaise and paper bags.





Photobucket

6 comments:

Sandie said...

You are going great guns, Karen!! It's a lovely idea to have a day out and plan photos in this way. I may have to think about doing that myself - it gives a real sense of achievement as well as some fun. You did well going to Colchester, lots there on the list.

Cheri said...

Well it was a worthwhile walk even if you did lose your lunch!

There is no failure in the scavenger hunt - only fun! And I really enjoyed the peek in your town today; so interesting to see where people live through the hunt.
Rinda

scrappyjacky said...

Some great captures there,Karen.

Denise said...

Wow you did do well, I've got quite a few but still have to get them from Instagram to Computer ! xx

Becky said...

Great photos! Sorry about your egg roll!