The Christmas Present

06:26 Karen 21 Comments

Why would I choose this little wooden elephant as my precious this month? Simply because it was a Christmas present from Gracia and it epitomises her kind and generous nature. 

When she was about 6 or 7, I'm not sure which, all the children in her school were given a brochure to take home with Christmas cards and small gifts for parents to order with commission going to the school.  As there was a few minutes until the end of school,  her teacher said that the children could look through the brochure.  Gracia spotted a little carved wooden elephant family and knowing that I loved elephants formulated a plan.  She asked her friend's mum to order the elephant and then paid for it with money from her money box.  


The first I knew of the brochure or the secret Christmas purchase was on Christmas day when she proudly gave me the carving.

Our girl still loves to buy me little surprise gifts, always gives great thought to what she buys for Christmas and would spend her last penny on a gift for someone she loves. 

 

Reasons to be cheerful:

1. Simple gifts that mean so much.

2. A daughter who is so insightful.

This post was brought to you as part of Sian's Story Telling Sunday - why don't you pop on over to her blog to read some more stories.
 


Photobucket

21 comments:

Henry brought me a wonderful bracelet made of decorative wood beads from Costa Rica, and I know I'll treasure it for a long time.
Rinda

Sian said...

What a lovely story this is (and what a lovely elephant) ..it has put a smile on my face this morning, thinking about your girl making her plan and carrying it through. That really is precious.

Thanks Karen, for the story, and for getting me thinking about another couple of ideas for new objects I could choose :)

What a sweet gift and girl, to plan the surprise so carefully.

Jennie said...

A lovely story - your daughter is so thoughtful. I love your elephant family - and you have me thinking about my surprise gifts now. Thank you. J x

Karen said...

I have several gifts that were hand chosen by my children. I treasure them all, as now we pretty much send a list of things we might like for people to choose from. Not nearly as meaningful, but from my perspective much safer than my trying to figure out what THEY might like. Thanks for sharing; it brought back some lovely memories.

What a clever Gracia to work out how to surprise you and follow through with her plan. I like surprise presents best of all :)

scrappyjacky said...

What a lovely gift....and so well thought out by G.

debs14 said...

Such a lovely story, what a thoughtful girly you have.

Abi said...

Beautiful- what a sweetie to think of you and keep it secret.

Miriam said...

Oh this really is the perfect precious. A true gift of love.

Sheena said...

What a wonderful daughter to organise such a lovely surprise for you xxx

Gail said...

How wonderful that she came up with the idea and managed to keep the secret. Your elephant family looks great!

Wonderful story & how well done of her to get it all planned out.

Sabrina S. said...

This is so thoughtful of Gracia. Thanks for sharing this sweet story. xoxo from France

Jane said...

what a thoughtful present.

Rachel B said...

That is a sweet post for a sweet little elephant :)

dogmatix said...

What a lovely present made all the more special for the thought put behind it :-)

Louise said...

aww a lovely story x

How wonderful that she was able to carry out her plan. I love that it wasn't something that she had to do, but something that she wanted to do. Your daughter must be very generous. It is awful as a kid when you can't surprise your mom. I remember my Grandma always taking us shopping for my mom's Christmas present. One year she was overseas and so mom took my brother and I to a store and sat on a chair in front of the registers so that we could still go in and buy her a surprise. I was nine and my brother was seven.

Jo said...

What a beautiful story and a wonderful girl x

Cheri said...

You have to love it when someone really thinks about what you would like!