My Guilty Secret

07:47 Karen 20 Comments

Yesterday was an amazing day spent with two friends chatting and crafting, I have to admit that there was more chatting than crafting overall!  I had taken a photo of my laptop to scrap as my August precious and knew I wanted to write a letter to my laptop once I got back home.  Yes my laptop is precious to me and an essential part of my daily/weekly life as I use it to do all the admin/paperwork for David's business but more than that I realised that it is a lifeline.  Without my laptop and the internet I would not have spent the day yesterday with two lovely ladies.  I met them as a result of starting my crop which without the internet would never have gotten off the ground.

Without my laptop and the internet I would never have been able to make this page as all the supplies were purchased on line and without my laptop and the internet I would not be writing this blog post as part of Sian's Storytelling Sunday.  It is my craft tool of choice as without it I would never be able to use my beloved Silhouette or print photos.  

 

Dear Laptop

We have been together for a number of years now and I just wanted to let you know how much you mean to me!  We share all my secrets, you know my passwords and just how much time I spend on Pinterest or Google.  The times when you get ill and have to go away I am lost without you and count the hours until your return.  You are always so helpful when I am doing the paperwork for David.  I cannot imagine life without you now as we spend way too much time together.  We watch films and surf the net looking for things that make us smile or even cry.  You hold so many of my precious  memories in the form of photographs and without you it wouldn’t be as much fun keeping in touch with Gracia when she is away in Newcastle.  Our little skyping sessions are a life saver, if not for  you I wouldn’t have met any on-line friends and then turned that friendship into a real life friendship.  You help me to keep up to date with what is going on in their lives through blogs, facebook and Instagram and I just don’t know how I would cope without being able to email all the time.



I know our time together is limited as you are getting older and slower and we both get frustrated by your inability to keep an internet connection going but I hope that we will make the most of our remaining days together and that we will be just as happy as we’ve always been.


Much love


Karen xxx

So although I am guilty about the amount of time I spend playing around on my laptop I would be lost without it.  

Why don't you pop on over to Sian's blog to read about other people's August Precious and they may be revealing their guilty secrets too!

Reasons to be cheerful:

1.  A sublime day spent with lovely friends even though we desperately missed Eileen.

2.  The miracle of the internet (even though ours is very flaky as we live out in the sticks).

3. The prospect of a little more crafting this afternoon.



Photobucket

20 comments:

Amy said...

Oh, now this is a great precious item and one I can relate to - though mine would be Mr Desktop ... he who keeps Photoshop!

Jo.C said...

Funny, I was thinking about my laptop being my precious. Love the letter and some pertinent points raised. Like it x

scrappyjacky said...

I can definately relate to this,Karen.

Sian said...

I'm with you on this one too! An inspired choice indeed. Although it's hard to believe now, when my husband bought me a laptop foe Christmas I had barely ever sent an email and didn't really know how to turn it on. I discovered scrapbooking round about the same time and I learned about the two things at the same time..in my mind they go hand in hand. So I read your story today nodding my head and agreeing completely.

What a lovely reminder to be grateful for the wonders of modern technology. I too am looking forward to skype and facetime with Princess when she heads off to Uni next month.

Denise said...

What a lovely post and what a superb layout.it was a fantastic day- spent with lovely friends and lovely weather (on and off!) and we did manage a tiny bit of crafting ! xx

Eleanor said...

Another one nodding in agreement here, and living in the sticks, although my sticks are granite mountains to play havoc with connections. Lovely story, glad I dropped by!
x

JO SOWERBY said...

Yes my laptop deserves some love too. Thank for letting me write this lovely comment laptop I love you,
Jo xxx

Irene said...

Your letter to your computer reminds me how important connections are. Without a keyboard I couldn't enjoy such fabulous storytelling as yours and Storytelling Sunday.

Sheena said...

I can really relate to your precious Karen x
All this technology has become a huge part of our lives without us even realising it!

Mel said...

Yes the internet really does keep us connected. We've just had a baby and we can Skype with our family in Belgium so that they don't miss out!

S said...

Oh I totally understand how attached you can be to a piece of electronics. I'm hoping laptop gets over its aging problems and you enjoy many many more days hanging out together.

Miriam said...

Oh! this is indeed inspired. I understand exactly where you are coming from. Swap laptop for Mac and it could be my story. Thank you so much for this...I love it!

Sinead said...

This is a great story and I too found myself agreeing with pretty much everything you have written here! I would be absolutely lost without my Macbook!

Cheri said...

I could probably write the same love letter to my laptop! Great subject for a Precious post.

Jo said...

I could write that letter too! Great story well told x

Sandie said...

I know exactly where you are coming from Karen. There are many things I would give up before my computers.

This is such a cute post, Karen. I love your take on precious this month, and what you said is so true! If it wasn't for technology we wouldn't have made all of these lovely friendships! I, for one, am VERY grateful for that, so your laptop is precious to me too! :o)

What a great layout, and I love how you told your story! So glad that you have been able to make in real life friends with blog friends - that's the best!
Rinda

I hadn't thought about my laptop that way but it is certainly a precious! It is amazing how life has changed since the internet became more social.