Everyday Memories

08:06 Karen 19 Comments

I know that most scrapbookers have a camera or two as it is one of the essential 'tools of the trade'.  I have my Fuji bridge camera, my phone and my little Lumix.  This is the story of my Lumix which I have saved until this month to tell.

You see my dad passed away four years ago on Tuesday and my Lumix belonged to him.  He and Mum had planned a holiday in the Italian Lakes - something they had wanted to do for a long time and he bought a new camera to record their adventure.  They had the most wonderful time and although Mum thought he seemed more tired than usual, they did all they had planned to do.  They returned home early on a Thursday morning and he decided to play golf later in the day, and as luck would have it his best friend was also free to join him. They played 18 holes (something he had not felt like doing for a long time), he came home and had his favourite meal for supper (lovingly cooked by Mum as a thank you for the fabulous holiday) and fell asleep in the chair whilst eagerly waiting for Strictly Come Dancing's - It Takes Two, a must see in his opinion.  Sadly, he never woke up but what a way to go, having spent the previous week on your dream holiday and spending the afternoon playing the sport you love, with you tummy full of good food and the anticipation of one of your favourite tv programmes! 



Now, don't get me wrong, I am sad my Dad died but am so glad it was the way it was, having seen the anguish and suffering that long and drawn out illnesses cause for those who have to witness them.  Mum gave me his camera the following Christmas and after I had taken a few photos, I reviewed them only to find that all the ones from their holiday were on the camera too. A bonus Christmas present from my Dad.  So my 'little' camera was a present that gave me pleasure on that Christmas Day and continues to give me immense pleasure, almost every day.

This post was brought to you in conjunction with Sian's Story Telling Sunday.  Why don't you grab a cup of tea and a biscuit or two and pop over to her blog to see what other contributors have to say.


 Photobucket

19 comments:

Mel said...

I have a Lumix too but it doesn't have this legacy. I always think passing away in your sleep as opposed to suffering for months or years is preferable but I would still hate to lose my dad!

Sian said...

Such a moving story Karen and told with such warmth and love. A perfect Precious! I'll be thinking about you during the week too x

You've brought tears to my eyes. What a moving tale.

Becky said...

A lovely time and I can quite understand what you mean about the way your father passed away. How lovely to have his camera and the happy memories of his last holiday with your Mum.

debs14 said...

Oh what a wonderful story, and how lovely to find those extra photos. I agree with you about the way he died, far better that way than a long deterioration.

Jennie said...

What a wonderful story and told so lovingly. I have a Lumix camera - and do love it. I will be thinking of you this week. Jen x

Such a wonderful precious and story behind it - brought tears to my eyes too.

Abi said...

This is a beautiful and moving story. It made me smile though, what a lovely way to go and what a momento to have of him.

scrappyjacky said...

I have a Lumix as well....but it certainly isn't special like yours...a wonderful story.

Alison said...

A really moving story, Karen.....will be thinking about you this week
Alison xx

Sheena said...

What a moving story Karen.
I can totally understand what you mean about the way your father died xxx

Sandra said...

You've written this so beautifully, with a heart full of love and happy memories. Sometimes it doesn't seem real does it? I can imagine you smiling everytime you use that camera :)

Gail said...

Oh what a lovely story - it is indeed precious.

Jo said...

A lovely story. My dad had a long (12 years) drawn out illness and I wish his passing had been as wonderful as your dad's sounds, content, probably with a smile on his face and no suffering. Thank you for sharing xx

Those butterflies are beautiful and what a touching story.
Thanks for sharing,
Rinda

WendyB said...

A very moving story, I can just imagine how you felt when you found those photos. Ten years next week for my Dad, which is why I felt compelled to comment I think, I hope you don't mind. I'm so glad for you that you are able to say 'what a way to go' x

Cheri said...

When my time comes, I hope I can leave this earth just the way your father did - on the heels of a wonderful time with family and friends and a nice meal in my tummy! I'm glad you have such happy memories of him and a nice little camera to play with as well!

Ruth said...

My goodness, Karen, what a story. There's no easy way to lose someone you love, but that has to be one of the "best" ways for the person concerned. How lovely that you now have and use your dad's camera. And the photos from the holiday ~ did you ever scrap them?

S said...

I was really touched by your story. Thanks for sharing.