Why I do it

07:38 Karen 12 Comments

What a thought provoking blog post from my blog friend Amy today!

I don't come from the chronological group of scrapbookers I scrap a photo just because I like it. I can scrap the same photo twice in a month

 


 

or some photos I love so much I wait until I really 'have my scrap on', or I know I am taking a class that will do them justice, because I want to make a page I really love with it on.

  
 Class thaught by the very talanted Denise Holmes at the recent ATDML retreat.

I scrap for the artistic/crafting buzz it gives me - it is not a want but a need, I truly have to do something creative every day to feel fulfilled and satisfied.

 

I scrap because looking at and working with photos of Gracia makes me feel closer to her when she is far away.

 

 I scrap with friends because it feels good to do something you love in with people who are close to you.

 

If I am honest I couldn't perceive a time when I wouldn't scrap in some form or other I loved the immediacy of digi scrapping when I dabbled in it 


and am now dipping my toe in the pool of mixed media.



As long as it gives me pleasure I will continue, I would like to say it doesn't matter what other people think of my work but that wouldn't be true or I wouldn't put it on my blog or be part of a design team or teach scrap classes but if I like it then that's all that matters!

Reasons to be cheerful:

1. Blog friends who make you think.

2. That I have the opportunity to scrap, almost whenever I choose to

3. My many, many craft related friends.


Photobucket

12 comments:

Patty said...

Karen - such lovely and very true reasons for scrapping. I thought I was the only person who scrapped one photo endless times just because I love the photo!! Lovely pics, as ever, of your lovely Gracia. x

scrappyjacky said...

Karen.....I so agree with all you say here.....and for me....the creativity involved is as important as telling the story.

Amy said...

And I think it is sensational that your comment turns into a terrific blog post that encourages others to enjoy their hobbies!

Great pages Karen and thanks for your thoughts today :)

Sian said...

Well said! I love the creativity just as much as the story too. I know everyone thinks I like the story best, but truthfully I love cutting up paper just as much!

It's lovely to see a collection of your pages together.

Jo said...

Gorgeous layouts. My reason for scrapping is the same as yours and I scrap the photos I love when I'm ready to scrap them, I don't worry about order :) x

Cheri said...

Amy's post was quite thought-provoking. And I LOVE your style and the pages you create, although I wouldn't have the patience to put as much work into a page as you do! They are absolutely gorgeous. All of them.

It's really cool for me to remember back to our time at Deb's house and actually witnessing your creativity flowing out of your fingers and onto a beautiful layout. I can see how it would be very enjoyable for you, Karen. I, too, was really impressed by Amy's post. Seems like it has a lot of us thinking! ;o)

Becky said...

This is such a great post, as was Amy's. I love your style too and your layouts here are lovely.

debs14 said...

Lovely pages, and I love your comment about using Gracia's photos making her seem closer when she is away at Uni. You have a true talent and your love for your craft shines through.

Denise said...

What a lovely post Karen. I also. Scrap photos more than once,your creativity knows no bounds and I always say that your pages truly tell a story each and every time x

Karen,
These are all such wonderful layouts! I've been out of blog land for quite a while, and it's great to be back.
Rinda

S said...

Great post of wonderful reasons. And lovely scrapping too.