Kaisercraft Design Team 2015 Entry

19:11 Karen 15 Comments

Well, my blog has been pretty Kaisercraft heavy recently - a testimony to how much I love their products.  I first discovered them through my Kiwi friend Mel and fell in love with the Hey Birdy range. Over the past few years, whenever it's Designer's Choice over at ATDML I always choose some Kaisercraft goodies to design with and love how their products have evolved over the years.  

So I have decided to try out for the 2015 Kaisercraft Design Team.  The requirement for the DT application was to produce a layout, a card or mixed media piece and a Beyond the Page piece.

For my page I used papers and the sticker sheet from the Furry Friends range and scrapped a photo of Kiera when she was very, very small.  

 

We have always called her Kitty Boo - why I don't know, but that's how it is.  This  paper range is very versatile as many of the papers have non pet related patterns on the back making them suitable to scrap anything. I added some wax paper flowers to my page, similar to the ones I created for a class I taught at a retreat a couple of years ago.  The leaves were cut using my Silhouette - my absolute favourite crafting tool. Video tutorial on how to make the flowers is here.


The page has lots of foam pads to bulk up the layering - I can't seem to scrap without using layers and layers of foam pads, even going three deep at times. 



I have fallen in love with the  All That Glitters range with it's gold foil accents, cute Easter eggs and gorgeous butterflies.  Anyone who knows me will testify that I do like to put a butterfly or two onto my projects and these ones are just divine.  I used this range for the other two required pieces.

For my card I chose a kraft card blank as the base  as I felt this would beautifully compliment the gold damask  pattern on the' Twinkle' paper. I added one of the All That Glitters - Collectables sentiments to the center.   

 

The leaf flourishes and flowers were cut using my Silhouette and also hand cut a few black butterflies from the Golden Easter paper as they pulled in the black writing on the sentiment card.  Finally I added gold coloured gems to reinforce the 'Leave a Little Sparkle' phrase. 




For my Beyond the Page piece I chose the Mini 5 Frame Shadow Frame to decorate.  

 

As soon as I saw the Golden Easter paper I knew the exact photo I wanted to use and the whole project came together very quickly.  

To achieve the crackle effect, I first painted the frame with gold paint.

  

Once the gold paint had dried, I added a layer of PVA glue. 


When the glue was tacky but not dry I painted white paint on top of this.

 

As the white paint dries at a different rate to the PVA it gives a crackle effect with gold lines showing through the white. 


I then cut some butterflies from the Golden Butterflies paper and used these with some pieces from the pack of Collectables. 


I cut the word Easter on my Silhouette and my choice was influenced by the 'bunny ears' on this one, which was in keeping with the bunny ears my daughter and I are wearing in the photo.




Finally, with a fair amount of the All That Glitters range left, I made an additional page.  I really like how the black card makes the colours pop on this page.

 
  
Of course there is a little layering and a couple of butterflies cut from the Golden Butterflies paper.



So there we have my three +1 projects but if you would like to see some more of my Kaisercraft creations please pop over to my Pinterest board and have a look.

I am keeping my hopes high and my fingers crossed.

Good luck everyone x


15 comments:

Beautiful Karen, I particularly love you frame and the crackling :D

Denise said...

Stunning projects Karen - I really love the layout. Good luck :-) xxx

Cheri said...

Kaisercraft would be lucky to have you and should jump at the chance to get you and your mad layering skills on their team!

debs14 said...

I love the way you use all the different ways of making flowers and those waxed ones are superb! Love the crackle paint tutorial and how it shows how you can turn something plain into something vintage. You have great imagination when planning your work and would be a fab asset to their team.

Carole R said...

Just stunning Karen! Good Luck!

melissa said...

Really beautiful and inspiring work, good luck Karen x

Mel @ ATDML said...

Those wax paper flowers were a hit at the retreat and look great on your page. I love the beyond the page project, having the gold crackle effect with the gold in the papers really ties everything together nicely.

Ann Freeman said...

Stunning Beyond the page project Karen! Good luck teamie!!

Katy Freeman said...

Best of luck!!!

Sandie said...

Stunning Karen! Your personal style really shines and I love the different ways that you used the papers and embellishments, especially how you made your own too. It is always good to learn how others create effects and I'm going back to see your video. You deserve to be picked Karen, Kaisercraft would be lucky to have you on their team. Wishing you luck.

CarolAnn said...

Karen your designs are always a little bit different and that's why we love them

Eileen said...

Love all your design Karen but your card and the Beyond the Page project are stunning.
Good Luck

michele said...

Love the three different designs Karen, good luck.

Alison said...

Good Luck Karen...your projects are fabulous! Xx

Jo said...

Breathtaking, they really are stunning and have made me want to get creative today x