Me on Monday - 4th Jan 2015

06:00 Karen 6 Comments

Well Hello, hello lovely people - joining in with Sian's Me on Monday.

It has been a lovely weekend but a weekend tinged with a little sadness as always in the back of my mind was the thought that Gracia is going back to Newcastle today.

On Saturday I planned meals for the week, something I never do, and then drove to Tesco's to pick up the food shop and the photos for Gracia's Christmas journal that I had made her.  For some reason two lanes of the A12 were closed but you couldn't tell until you were on the slip road - people were doing 3 point turns on the slip road and then driving back up it the wrong way!  Consequently it took me an hour and ten minutes to do a fifteen minute trip.  



The shop was a really healthy one as I am determined to eat better in 2016.

On Sunday we all went for a very long walk in the rain 



and then had a pub lunch.  


I had the most delicious Creme Brulee 

I was genuinely shocked when Gracia ordered a whisky and coke as I had forgotten that she was well over the age of consent and as I never drink and David only does on occasion it seemed so wrong but at almost 23, of course she likes a little drink.

When we got home I decided it was time to put all the Christmas biscuits and sweets in a carrier bag for the kids to take back to Newcastle and to clear the cupboards and the fridge of things I didn't want to be tempted by.  In doing so I cleaned out my cooking cupboard and found a whole bin bag of things lurking at the back that were out of date!


So it's back to school this morning and picking Gracia and Josh up straight after school to take them to the station to get their train home.  

Not long until half term when we will see them again.

Hope you have a lovely week.

Reasons to be Cheerful
1.  We have had a lovely 10 days with Gracia at home.
2.  We have gone on long walks almost every day,
3.  Reflecting on all the times we have spent laughing together over the Christmas period. 

6 comments:

So lovely to have the kids home from Uni, isn't it? My boy doesn't go back 'til the 11th, but he finished later than most of his friends. Lots of lovely veggies there. I cooked up a big pot of veggie chilli and another of soup yesterday evening, in preparation for back to work/college this week.

Jo said...

It sounds like you had a lovely weekend apart from being stuck in traffic! I did my cupboards just before Christmas and found a lot of out of dates stuff stuck at the back, it felt so good once it was done though. Good luck with your healthy eating x

debs14 said...

Isn't it amazing what you find lurking at the back of the cupboard! One benefit of re-doing our kitchen last year was having to empty everything out so at least I now know everything in there is completely within date (until next year ...)
Hope Gracia's journey back was easier than your quick jaunt down the A12!

Sian said...

Your shopping is an inspiration to us all! I'll be thinking about you as I load up my trolley tomorrow :) I have my boy here til Thursday and my brother who was supposed to fly out today, is now here for another week (don't ask, but I'm not complaining)

It seemed funny to me when Carrie started ordering "drinks" when we'd go out too. Good idea sending all the sweets away! Happy New Year!!!

Sandra said...

Sounds like a lovely weekend and good luck in the healthy eating. Same is happening in our home too. Back to menu planning